Dr Jayant V Iyer is Senior Consultant and Medical Director at The Straits Eye Centre based in Camden Medical Centre. He specializes in General Ophthalmology for conditions such as cataracts, dry eyes, refractive errors and diabetic retinopathy, with an added subspecialist expertise in glaucoma.
Fellowship-trained at Johns Hopkins in the USA, he was formerly Senior Consultant Glaucoma surgeon at The Singapore National Eye Centre. He was Head of its Clinical & Service Quality department, and Lead for its Global Ophthalmology office. He founded and runs The Vision Mission – an NGO that aims to alleviate treatable blindness in Asia and beyond.
For his contribution to the fraternity globally, he has been conferred the APAO Distinguished Service Award 2021, Novartis eXcellence in Vision Award 2019 and the Singapore Courage Fund Healthcare Humanity Award 2020. For his dedication to patient care, he also received the Singhealth Service Star Award 2022 and the Singhealth Covid Hero Award 2021.
He is passionate about eye care in the community and believes in strong partnership with primary care providers, as early detection of disease is key in keeping patients healthy and preserving their right to good sight. Please see https://straitseye.com.sg for more details.
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, SINGAPORE
• Graduate Diploma in Family Medicine, SINGAPORE
• Master of Medicine, Ophthalmology, SINGAPORE
• Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
• Fellow, Academy of Medicine, SINGAPORE (Gold Medal)
• OneCGHCares Award | Changi General Hospital | 2022
• Singhealth Quality Service STAR Award | Singapore Health Service | 2022
• Covid Hero Award | Singapore Health Services | 2021
• Distinguished Service Award | Asia-Pacific Association of Ophthalmology | APAO | 2020-2021
• Healthcare Humanity Award | Singapore Courage Fund | Singapore | 2020
• Distinguished Service Award | Eye & Vision Health Awards | Singapore | 2019
• eXcellence in Ophthalmology and Vision Award (XOVA) | Novartis | Global | 2019
• SingHealth Quality Service Award (Silver) | Singapore Health Services | Singapore | 2019
• Marcus Lim Humanitarian Award | SNEC | Singapore | 2014 – 2018
• Healthcare Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) Award | MOH | Singapore | 2016-2017
• Gold Medal | Fellowship of Academy of Medicine, Singapore Ophthalmology Exam | Singapore | 2014
• ARVO International Travel Grant | Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology | 2013
• Allergan Merit Award | International Ophthalmology Congress | Singapore | 2010